[joomla] Any movement to bring Joomla as an extra for Linux distributions?

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Wed Aug 15 18:47:32 EDT 2007

On 8/15/07, David A. Roth <rothmail at comcast.net> wrote:

> I was talking to a friend of mine who is a Linux admin who I have introduced
> to Joomla. He had some suggestions, which may or may not be in the works,
> but I wanted to share them. If there is a more direct place to make such
> suggestions please kindly let me know. :-)

Of course there's the Joomla forums, there's a board there for you to
make such suggestions:

http://forum.joomla.org/index.php/board,38.0.html

> There should be a movement to include Joomla as an extra for the Fedora
> distributions (and other Linux such as CentOS). Installing it with an RPM
> and during system setup would bring over a lot of people.

We're already taken care of with common control panels like Plesk and
such, and that should take care of the people that cannot install
Joomla on their own. If you cannot figure out how to install Joomla,
chances are you aren't managing your server at the operating system
level either - you got a control panel.

Problems I've had in the past was that everyone wants to install their
Joomla site in a different directory, and an RPM doesn't make that all
that easy. It can be done, but it might be more complicated than just
untarring the archive where you want it and running the web installer.

-- Mitch