[joomla] Re: ANNOUNCE: October Meeting Rescheduled

Mark Simko masimko at verizon.net
Tue Oct 14 13:09:01 EDT 2008

> To be blunt, we need to plan more than a couple days in advance. That
> is really killing us as a group, as it is not possible to promote the
> meetings, let alone know for sure when they are happening.
>
> Now that we have a shiny new website (thanks to everyone involved),
> I'd like to propose lining up talks for the rest of 2008

We should at least set the meeting dates and post them on the calendar.
Could be one of the first orders of bizniz at this next meeting. Anyone
have a holiday calendar?

>  (there are
> only a couple left, should not be too hard). With that out of the way,
> we can actually promote the events, and start lining up talks for
> 2009.

With larger user groups, such as LILUG, that becomes a position to be
filled. With smaller groups, such as this, unfortunately, most of the
work falls on a few shoulders. Perhaps we need to consider a little more
organizational structure.

> One thing I always liked about NYPHP is that they seemed to be a
> couple months ahead of the curve, and we should emulate that approach
> as it has proven effective.

> I also wonder if there would be any real interest in an
> install/demo-fest from time to time, targeted at folks that have never
> used Joomla but want to get it running, and see it in action. Anyone
> have an opinion if that would be useful?

Perhaps make it an annual or semi-annual event. Could include
refreshments to make it sort of a 'party'.

> As for the last-second reschedule this month,

Second reschedule???!!! WAIT! So when's the meeting???

>  to be honest I thought
> it was discussed on the list. My apologies to everyone. To me it was
> clear that holidays trump user group meetings, and was not aware that
> the UniGroup meet was the following Thursday.
>
> We definitely need to get November and December planned and on the
> calendar so stuff like this no longer happens.

Put events calendar on website???