[joomla] Best Choice to get RHEL 4.0

Gary Mort garyamort at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 00:03:39 EST 2009

Dunno about your specific need, but here is my opinion on linux flavors for
servers:

CENTOS - has some nasty little gotcha's due to their default configuration
and emphasis on security.  Install packages for std web dev packages are
years out of date requiring you to use non-secure repositories or compile on
your own to have up to date good.  Not good for the small company.  Can
provide professional level support needed by mid to large companies.

Ubuntu - good overall mix of packages, slightly offputting user command line
tools, but overall quite good.  As long as you have a decent linux community
to bounce questions off of, my choise of OS for server.

Fedora - not the greatest server, but many of the benefits of CENTOS without
the years out of date part.  Good for those coming from a windows background
to pickup and use.  Requires a somewhat beefier server than Ubuntu unless
you really know what your doing when you choose what parts to install.  I
just take everything and let it eat hard drive space.

That's it.  I used to have a slight preference for Debian over Ubuntu, but
there are more how to's for what I want to do for Ubuntu so that gave it the
edge.