[joomla] Team Development

Paul Bouzakis nyphp at zooluserver.com
Fri Sep 3 08:43:38 EDT 2010

  On 9/2/2010 11:23 PM, Mitch Pirtle wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 2, 2010 at 10:32 AM, Tom Flis<webhomebase at comcast.net>  wrote:
>> I'm faced with a similar situation, but instead of starting with a Joomla
>> site I have the task of taking an existing commercial CMS-based site and
>> migrating it to Joomla. I want to be able to use a team approach to
>> systematically develop and move selected parts of the site to a shared
>> development environment (probably on a different web host). That is, one
>> site used by the Team instead of multiple localhost installs. How would one
>> setup the 3 multiple servers in this case? Any suggestions / tips would be
>> welcome. Don't know if this will trigger a lengthy blog post from Mitch.
> Ok, that does it.
>
> *spacemonkey whips out text editor, starts typing
>
> :-)
>
> Seriously though, I was on a distributed team at Viacom and had
> several servers that were basically forcing your code to run the
> gauntlet - I developed locally, pushed via svn to a repository, and
> that was manually pushed to a shared development server where all
> database changes were exported via mysqldump (one file for data, one
> file for schema). Releases were tagged, and tagged releases were then
> pulled to a test server, and once the codebase made it past test, that
> release was tagged again and a tarball was submitted to their internal
> platform publishing system for distribution to the live site.
>
> A major hassle was dealing with all the database changes while active
> development was going on - someone was invariably changing menu items
> while someone else was moving modules around, while someone else was
> installing a plugin and assorted components and modules for something.
> In the end, all Joomla admin activity was done on the development
> server, and pushed back to the local development installs via
> mysqldump.
>
> Pretty much did the same for the Jetsetter site for Gilt. That was a
> much smaller team, and included some exotic tech so there was
> additional complexity.
>
> Before that I was involved with a project that had a pretty sweet
> distribution tool made with phing, allowing you to say "phing install
> $storename" and the following happened:
>
> * svn export of stable tagged Joomla platform
> * svn export of stable tagged commerce extensions suite
> * svn export of $store data, media and static markup
> * tar all this up and fling via scp to production or test servers,
> which would automatically untar and install
Sounds great Mitch.  I use svn for all my custom php development web
apps (non cms/joomla/wordpress).  I have a few phing scripts to help
assist me in the build.
I was thinking I would go with something very similar, where on the
shared dev server, is where you would administer the site, including
installing extensions.  There would be a custom page where an admin
(super administrator) would be able to push changes back to the local
development - not sure how I want to do this exactly since it involves
files and mysql dump.  Instead of a push, might have a pull, where when
a developer does an svn update locally, in addition I poll the dev
server for the latest mysql AND extensions files.
That was awesome, but yeah code was tracked in what felt like was a
> bazillion places as a result...
I hear ya.  Joomla, Drupal, Wordpress, etc, should address this issue,
as I feel it is a major drawback for companies that develop with their
code.  I know a lot of people are one man/woman shop, but once you
develop on a team, things change fast.