HTTP_REFERER

Ian Forsyth ian at plusfour.org
Fri Jun 14 12:16:06 EDT 2002

 Hi,

wierd firewall happening..

I worked on this site that had a splash page to it, in the home page there
is a little animation, then click here to enter the site..

so I put some conditional logic in the index page saying

$refer = getenv('HTTP_REFERER');
if(!strpos($refer,"mysite.com"))
{
	splashpage();
}
else
{
	homepage();
}

I never had a problem till, some one at BigBank.com went to look at the site
from their office and they went in an infinte loop always going to the
splash page, and this happened at several computers on the same network at
bigbank.com .. for some reason the http_referer from the client could not be
captured..

did this happen because some particular firewall filtering? Whats up with
that?

Ian