[nycphp-talk] Hi !

Jerry Kapron nyphp at NewAgeWeb.com
Tue Apr 1 00:59:19 EST 2003

Jim,
No reason to blame NYPHP.  I've been working on anti-spam technology for a
couple of years and can list dozens of ways how your NYPHP e-mail address
ended up on a spammer's mailing list. Harvesting the Web is not the only
way.  Perhaps that's really the case that someone joined NYPHP just to
collect e-mail addresses from the web archive. However there are all kinds
of other things done by spammers to get e-mail addresses.  You gotta realize
that once you send an e-mail message to a mailing list, the message is
distributed to all subscribers, therefore many different IPS's and PC's. ..
and then you have things like:
- evil admins who extract addresses from mailbox and mail log files on mail
servers
- weak security on shared mail/hosting servers where any user can do the
above
- e-mail worms harvesting addresses from e-mail client mailboxes
- the list goes on ..
I hope you'll be able to sleep tonight and use e-mail ever again  :)

Cheers,
Jerry

--
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot.

>--- nyphp at jimbishop.org wrote:
>> set
>> >
>> > Negative, and with private archives the address must have been
harvested
>> > using other means.
>>
>> So then it was picked up off of the online archives?
>
>Again, negative.  The archives are only accesible after registering and
>logging in - something others have mentioned as being a pain, but at the
same
>time, this is the first ever spam issue that's been reported.
>
>> The only place I use
>> this address is for this mailing list.  It's not even a mail account or
an
>> alias.  I just have all of my email go to one mailbox, but I switch out
>> the name to track who's selling my email address.  I don't believe NYPHP
>> is selling email addresses, but I wonder if the archives are being
>> harvested for spam purposes.
>
>Unless a spammer has registered and logged into the archives, this is not
an
>issue.  As others pointed out, there are many clever ways people can sniff
>addresses or use "brute force" methods.  Having a catchall account for
>nyphp.org, I am a victim of these types of attacks continuously.

>> jim.bishop

O3-641HKl78