[nycphp-talk] Replacing a string within many tables, unknown c olumns

Lynn, Michael (DCS) MLynn at exchange.ml.com
Sat Feb 15 11:05:34 EST 2003

Here's the finished code - I've edited to remove some of my site specific stuff... But basically you need to assign:

$_DB_host
$_DB_user
$_DB_name
$old_str
$new_str

And away you go... Thanks for the great suggestions.  As always, suggestions for improved efficiency greatly appreciated.

An obvious change is checking for field_type and only searching fields that are char, varchar, string, (and possible blob).

---8<---
$dbLink = mysql_pconnect("$_DB_host","$_DB_user","");
$tables = mysql_list_tables("$_DB_name",$dbLink);  // Get a list of tables
while ($row = mysql_fetch_row($tables)) {
        $table_name = $row[0];  // Get the current table name
        $fields = mysql_list_fields("$_DB_name","$table_name",$dbLink);  // Get a list of all columns in table
        for($i = 0; $i < mysql_num_fields($fields); $i++) {
                $column=mysql_field_name($fields,$i); // Get current column name
                $sql="select * from $table_name where $column like '%$old_str%'";
                $result=mysql_query($sql);
                while($a=mysql_fetch_array($result)) {
                        $old_text = $a["$column"]; // Get the current text value from the column
                        $new_text=str_replace($old_str,$new_str,$old_text); // Assign new_text using replacement
                        $sql = "update $table_name set $column='$new_text' where $column='$old_text'";  // Update the database with new
                        $r=mysql_query($sql);  // do it.
                }
        }
}