[nycphp-talk] Losing data on post

Chris Shiflett shiflett at php.net
Fri May 9 20:40:12 EDT 2003

--- Jeff <jsiegel1 at optonline.net> wrote:
> I have a form that has a multi-select dropdown. When the user clicks
> 'submit' the data is posted to a "confirmation" form. The confirmation
> form checks the data. If there is an error, the user goes back to the
> form.

That sounds like a design problem. Why should the user go back?

You can avoid the problem you describe entirely by re-displaying the form if
there is an error (highlighting and/or describing the errors, of course). Then
you can prefill the form howver you like. This is much more reliable, but more
importantly, it's much more user-friendly.

Hope that helps.

Chris