[nycphp-talk] "how many users online" PHP solution: sessions or DB?

Phil Powell soazine at erols.com
Mon Nov 3 22:36:40 EST 2003

http://codewalkers.com/seecode/75.html
http://www.webkreator.com/php/concepts/counting-users-online-with-php.html

The following two URLs illustrate different approaches to the idea of showing "how many
users online" issue.  I am looking at two different sites where I am looking into implementing
this type of script; one that has mySQL and one that has no db access of any kind; both use
PHP 4.1.

I (for once) understand what I would need to do to implement it; problem comes in as to which
solution would be the fastest, most efficient and most secure considering that one of them
deals with sessions (then there is the cookie issue, but that's another issue altogether,
see http://www.webkreator.com/php/configuration/php-session-security.html on security issues
and cookies/sessions).

What would one best recommend I use: the PHP/mySQL solution (for the non-db issue I would have
to write complicated XML procedures instead), or sessions?

Oh, more info:

Site #1 (has mySQL) is Linux/Apache ??/mySQL 3.23.41 and PHP 4.1
Site #2 (has no DB) is generic UNIX/Apache ?? and PHP 4.1

Thanx
Phil