[nycphp-talk] PHundamentals Topic #4: php.ini settings

David Mintz dmintz at davidmintz.org
Wed Nov 12 16:46:29 EST 2003

On Wed, 12 Nov 2003, Michael Southwell wrote:

> What settings do you consider essential?  How should they be set, and why?

This is pretty obvious, but since we're talking Phundamentals, it bears
pointing out that the php.ini settings that cannot be overridden at
runtime with ini_set() or via .htaccess probably merit special
consideration, since you can't change them without editing php.ini and
restarting apache.

Of course, if you don't control the server, then you don't control the
PHP_INI_SYSTEM values at all, so it's moot. http://www.php.net/ini_set
is essential reading.to find out which are user-overridable and which
aren't.

My $.02: some of the ones I like to customize in php.ini, where possible
are error_reporting (E_ALL for development); include_path (something sane
for convenience's sake, but not too long for performance's sake);
register_globals (off); display_errors (on, for development); log_errors
can be your friend too.

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/
ATTN Everybody: dmintz at panix.com will be unplugged as of 01-Dec-2003!
Please use dmintz at davidmintz.org

        "Anybody else got a problem with Webistics?"

                Sopranos 24:17