[nycphp-talk] Re: [nycphp-dev] intro & content protection question

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.org
Wed Nov 26 10:56:00 EST 2003

-sry wrote:

> Hiya listies,
>
> I'm cross-posting this to both the dev and talk lists, as I
> am not quite sure in which category this really belongs.

This is the correct list (NYPHP-Talk), although the NYFE (Frontend) list might be helpful too.

http://nyphp.org/lists

> I'm brand-spanking new to both PHP and mySQL, though
> I've been programming for a number of years (since about
> 1985) and am based in C so I think PHP is going to be
> pretty easy to pick up. I've had exposure to SQL through

Welcome.  C is good :)

> The more I think through the functional flow of this project,
> however, the more silly it seems to be involving Flash at all.
> The only thing stopping me from keeping it purely PHP at
> this point is how to protect the content at the point it appears
> in the client browser. Is there any way to do this? Since PHP
> parses and then returns HTML to the client, I don't see how
> to make the page content not accessible via View | Source
> or by saving the resultant page.  Ideas? Suggestions?

I have little experience in this field (that is of frontend stuff) but I do remember taking some tests online (like at Brainbench way back when).  I think they used some type of Javascript to block cutting-pasting, and saving. True, this is easily circumvented, but might be enough for what you need.  Lastly, if you can for people to use IE, there are probably a number of ActiveX and browser plugin types of components that could offer the most protection.