[nycphp-talk] PHP growth (getting OT)

Brent Baisley brent at landover.com
Tue Sep 9 14:51:01 EDT 2003

I work for a technical recruiting company in NYC and I can tell you
that most of the jobs we have are for C++, Java or .NET. That's not to
say these companies don't use open source tools, they just don't
actively recruit for those skills. Linux being an exception to that.
Most of your larger companies are more interested in scalability and
support rather than time to development. They can always hire more
people to speed up a project.
The midsize companies who are outgrowing Access and/or FileMaker are
ideal candidates for PHP and MySQL, but they don't know enough about
them to go that direction. I've done some consulting on the side and
I've had clients who wanted a completely web based system with
Filemaker as the backend (egads!). They have Filemaker (or Access) and
are comfortable with them.
I've actually gotten my foot in the door many times because I knew
Filemaker, not because I knew PHP and MySQL. Although I've ended up
doing the project in PHP/MySQL.

I believe there still needs to be more growth in the PHP market share
before you'll start seeing a big demand for it. Cold Fusion has a
larger market share, but there aren't many jobs on the job boards for
it in the NYC area.

What job boards have you looked on? You may have more success looking
at one of the non-commercial job boards like Craigs List.

--
Brent Baisley
Systems Architect