[nycphp-talk] horizontally scalable

Mitch Pirtle mitch.pirtle at gmail.com
Sat Dec 4 09:48:19 EST 2004

I wouldn't call that horizontally scalable though, as you would also
need to scale at the load balancer / database layer.  This is when
things get really complicated - but with smart proxies like pound
(http://www.apsis.ch/pound/) and database-driven session storage such
as what is provided by ADOdb (http://adodb.sf.net/) it is not nearly
as difficult as it was in the past.

What I have seen in the past - working on high-traffic websites at
least - was that scaling the application layer was a piece of cake;
and scaling the database was complicated enough that instead of
installing many cheap/commodity servers (like at the application
level) they always ended up getting two monster machines.

And with quad-processor opterons as affordable as they are now, I am
thinking that is just fine ;-)

I remember running a very heavy site on a single mysql box, dual
pentium 333s with the DPT controller (slowest controller on the
planet); and that was when they were getting something like 10 million
visitors daily.  Man, how different life would have looked with a quad
opteron back there!

-- Mitch