[nycphp-talk] Using PEAR?

Adam Maccabee Trachtenberg adam at trachtenberg.com
Tue Feb 10 15:16:38 EST 2004

On Tue, 10 Feb 2004, Mark L. Withington wrote:

> Bummer, I'm out-of-the country that week (usually in Boston so I'm always
> out-of-town). Would've made this one my first meeting too.  Anyone know a
> good PEAR primer that I can buy (I realize it's probably on line for free,
> but I've got lots of time to kill in an airplane).  I'd like to try and get
> a better handle on all this PEAR stuff.

*** Blatent Plug Alert ***

"PHP Cookbook" (O'Reilly 2003) has a section on PEAR and also covers
PEAR DB.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1565926811/trachtenberg-20/ref=nosim

However, I would be remiss if I didn't plug David's new book:
"Essential PHP Tools: Modules, Extensions, and Accelerators." (Apress
2004)

In addition to being completely up-to-date, it has an extensive set of
documentation on many PEAR (and non-PEAR) modules, including: PEAR DB,
ADODB, HTML_QuickForm, Smarty, XML_Parser, SimpleXML, PEAR XML_RPC,
PEAR SOAP, PEAR Mail and Mail_mime, PEAR Auth and Auth_HTTP, XDebug,
APC, PHPA, and MMCache. (Whew!)

While many of these packages have some form of online documentation,
much of it is out-of-date, poorly written, or missing major
portions. In particular, the PEAR SOAP chapter is *far and away* the
best documentation I have seen on PHP and SOAP. The other chapters are
good too, particularly if you like ice cream.

Unfortunately, it's coming out new month. :( But you should buy it
anyway. :)

http://www.sklar.com/blog/archives/25_Essential_PHP_Tools.html
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1590592808/sklarcom-20/ref=nosim

-adam

Disclaimer: I co-wrote PHP Cookbook with David and technical edited
Essential PHP Tools.

adam at trachtenberg.com
author of o'reilly's php cookbook
avoid the holiday rush, buy your copy today!