[nycphp-talk] free webspace, dns, email

Michael mogmios at mlug.missouri.edu
Wed Jan 7 12:17:59 EST 2004

> I have come across this offer as well.  However, on step two of three
> I noticed a mention of potential account set-up fees, service fees and
> domain service fess.  Their text indicates that the details of these
> fees can be found on their site but I have not been able to find
> them.  They have not returned my email asking about the location of
> the fee descriptions, which is a little curious as my previous
> requests for information were responded to quite promptly.  Thought
> that might be a little helpful for folks to here.  I'll post later if
> there are further developments.

I actually read through the FAQ and all of the contract before signing
up and have been carefully watching it in the week or so since signing
up. Yes, they have additional services they'll charge you for if you use
them but they are clearly marked in the control panel and before you can
use them I believe you need to submit a credit card which isn't asked
for at all otherwise. Without using any of those extra services I was
able to set up multiple domains I already owned for web serving and
email. They give you 100 domains you can use for free, 50 email
accounts, 500Mb of disk space, and 5Gb/month of bandwidth. To me those
are pretty easy limits to stay inside. There was no set-up fee (waived
according to the FAQ).. I'm not sure what you mean by service fee.. they
do charge you a fee if you want to use them as your registar too secure
a domain name but they give you one of their subdomains for free as part
of the packagee and allow you to use any domains you already have for free.

PHP is slightly limited (running as CGI?) but includes a lot of built-in
extra modules and unless you're doing something pretty unusual (I do) I
don't think you'll notice.