[nycphp-talk] DB Differences

Mark Armendariz nyphp at enobrev.com
Fri Jun 18 10:48:50 EDT 2004

 > Well then, the real question is if the client needs to know
> how you do the job.

I try to keep all my work and plans as up front as possible with the client
(as long as they want to hear it, of course).  As an independent, I'm sure
you know very well that there can quite well be another new contract
developer going over this in a few months should I be busy or out of town.
When that developer comes to the app and finds 2 completely different
databases and a massive data processing script, the client can explain what,
where, and why, instead of the new developer trying to talk the client into
a complete rewrite because the 'last guy didn't know what he was doing.'

Then when I get back from my PHP cruise or whatnot, instead of having 15
emails questioning my methods, I can just delete all my spam infested
inboxes and settle in.

> If the DB for the website is
> static ( ie. no updates except through the sync ) then I
> would provide the client the option to do a dump

If the conversion ends up being some serious muckery, I may end up going the
dump route entirely, although I'm sure I'll be able to convert the data
accordingly with some good planning.

Mark