[nycphp-talk] Top 5 Most Useful PHP Functions?

Hans Zaunere hans at nyphp.com
Sat Nov 13 13:46:07 EST 2004

> What are the top 5 most *useful* PHP functions to you? (in no order)
>
> + preg_match_all
> + preg_replace
> + array_unique
> + array_combine
> + (tie) file_get_contents and simplexml_load_string

Well, I'd have to go with mysql_connect() as being the number one
function I've used in nearly every PHP application I've ever written :)

But seriously, it's a tough call to name specific functions, especially
since the most common are language constructs (and technically not
functions).  So, I'll say the most useful function groups:

-- date/time (http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.datetime.php)
-- strings (http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.strings.php)
-- arrays (http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.array.php)
-- error handling/logging