[nycphp-talk] Poll on WAMP installation packages and good hosting for students

John Lacey jlacey at att.net
Fri Sep 17 09:09:48 EDT 2004

Mitch Pirtle wrote:

> 1) What are the top 5 WAMP installation packages, and which are the
> easiest to maintain for non-techies?

XAMPP -- I've been using it for a couple years now, but more
importantly, my students (intro-level classes) have no problems with it.

http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html

> 2) What hosting providers out there (in the $9.95 range) that provide
> good service, easy management, and decent reporting?

here's a pretty good value:

http://www.edmunds-enterprises.com/linux/hosting_plans.php

I've used their tech support once to request SSH shell setup -- very
responsive.  They keep their software current and even run apache 1.3
instead of 2.0 -- note the # of mysql databases that come with the
packages (I have the $4.95/mo plan).

John