[nycphp-talk] strpos with space

Brian O'Connor gatzby3jr at gmail.com
Mon Jul 25 14:41:41 EDT 2005

I'm trying to create a function that displays the first 250 words of a text,
and then puts " ... [ full text ] " (as a link). I did my research and I
found the functions that I thought would work, however when I try to findt
he 250th space (to determine where the 250th word would be) it doesn't seem
to work, and the function only displays 250 characters.

Here is the function, maybe I am misunderstanding something:

function createTextPreview($text, $words = 250)
{
if(str_word_count($text) < $words) {
return $text;
} else {
return substr($text, 0, strpos($text, ' ', $words)) . ' ... [ <a
href="link">full text</a> ]' . str_word_count($text);
}
}

Thanks in advance.

--