[nycphp-talk] MySQL Case Study - Stanford Graduate School of Business (avail. at HBR Online)

Tim Lieberman tim_lists at o2group.com
Tue Mar 1 16:18:05 EST 2005

Mitch Pirtle wrote:

>If the organization decides to commit to a particular database
>platform (for whatever reason), not using all of the features
>available to your advantage just makes no sense.
>
>And in that scenario (which for my clients is a vast majority) forcing
>your developers and consultants to replicate that functionality at the
>application level (paying double in efforts and cost) equally makes no
>sense.

I think a lot of developers don't use the database features that they
could because poor requirements turn limitations designed into the
application into business rules for the database.  Some months later,
another application is designed that is supposed to be able to play
fast(er) and loose(r) with the data.  Now, developers need to move the
constriants out of the database, and into the first application, so the
DB will allow application #2 to do it's job.  Or, maybe you can handle
things carefully in the database.

I know this bit me several times early in my career.

-Tim