[nycphp-talk] Automatically Generating Code from the Database

Brian Kaney brian at vermonster.com
Tue Mar 22 11:28:58 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-22 at 10:55, Randal Rust wrote:
> I just had an interesting conversation with my boss, who hasn't coded
> anything since COBOL. Anyway, he was saying that he is amazed that no
> one has written a tool for PHP that will generate classes and methods
> based on the tables in the database.

That's because he is used to the older data-driven design methodology.
PHP (especially v5) and other OO languages allow us to use domain-driven
design.

Instead of starting from the database structure and working outward to
try to solve the process, start with the business problem, build your
workflows/objects and finish with the data storage.  I find there is
much less iteration with this method.

Anyway, take a look at Umbrello.  The idea is to model you app using UML
and hit the "generate PHP" button.

   http://uml.sourceforge.net

- Brian