[nycphp-talk] online games

Marcin Szkudlarek d126099 at atos.wmid.amu.edu.pl
Sat Nov 5 07:17:46 EST 2005

Hi!

I'm thinking about developing online game in php  like:
http://games.swirve.com/utopia
or
http://ogame.org

Both of them are real-time strategy  games. This means that if you make
some action in this games, you have to wait for a certain amout of time to
see the result. For  example sending an army to attack another province
takes few hours of a real-world time.
My question is , how can I update periodically these kind of data in the
database? I think I can do it using cron, updating game database every
hour for example. Is there any other way? Usually you don't have access
to tool like cron..

Marcin