[nycphp-talk] length of form element names?

Marc Antony Vose suzerain at suzerain.com
Tue Oct 11 02:42:50 EDT 2005

Hi there:

I searched around, and did not find an answer.

In particular, I was looking at
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/interact/forms.html#control-name

...and also just general Google searching.

So my question is this:

How long can the name of a form element be?  Is there a limit?

I have a script which is a few layers deep into auto-generating forms
based on information in a CSS file, and it's inserting some arcane
codes in that are adding up to make really long form elements.

Nothing's breaking, but I'm concerned that there might be a problem
in the future, since it could conceivably construct some pretty long
form field names.

Cheers,

Marc