[nycphp-talk] AJAX functionality at search.yahoo.com

inforequest 1j0lkq002 at sneakemail.com
Fri Sep 16 00:28:51 EDT 2005

Matthew Terenzio matt-at-jobsforge.com |nyphp dev/internal group use|
wrote:

>On Sep 15, 2005, at 5:31 PM, inforequest wrote:
>

>Yes, but what did you mean by the end of SERPs. Why?

This is called a beta of Yahoo! "instant search". It seems to be an
equivalent of Google's "I feel lucky" only it claims to give you the TOP
RESULT (the #1 SERP position's website) instead of whatever "I feel
lucky" promises. Yahoo! boldly suggests that the #1 result is "what you
probably want anyway".

Last report I saw, "I feel lucky" was not very popular. I am guessing
most people don't even know what's behind that button. But if this "just
show me me the #1 answer so I can say yes/no" becomes popular, two
things come true immediately:

1. It REALLY pays to win the #1 spot in your category. Practically an
all-or-nothing game to be in Yahoo! (so to the extent that people
utilize Instant Search, the SERPs are meaningless. Only #1 matters)
2. Yahoo! eliminates alot of their SERPs "quality issues" by hiding them
under the carpet. As long as the #1 spot is good, everyone thinks Yahoo!
works great (even if #2 thru 10 are spam sites).

Since it is widely known that Yahoo! hand edits certain categories to
"manage" the top spots, they are thus able to eliminate a HUGE part of
their algorithmic burden via Instant Search. Not much of a search
engine, eh? More like a directory. And think about the "paid inclusion"
possibilities... what could they get for the top spot then?

The AJAX stuff is just part of the interface (eliminates the submit and
allows "suggestion".. a powerful marketing concept).

-=john andrews
http://www.seo-fun.com when Dreamhost isn't down