[nycphp-talk] Help with a basic mod_rewrite issue?

Dell Sala dell at sala.ca
Fri Dec 15 18:06:23 EST 2006

mod_rewrite seems like a messy business. How about naming your php
script without a .php extension and just have that be parsed with
php? Then, whatever path is appending to the script name that is
requested just acts as a query string/argument.

your php script would be

http://domain.com/mp3handler

and full requests would look like this

http://domain.com/mp3handler/music.mp3

mp3handler would just parse the full request string to find out what
mp3 was requested

your .htaccess file would be something like this:

<FilesMatch "^mp3hanlder$">
    ForceType application/x-httpd-php
</FilesMatch>

I've found this to be an effective technique for creating clean urls.

-- Dell