[nycphp-talk] LARGE mysql database performance

Keith Richardson keith at keithjr.net
Tue Jan 31 15:57:47 EST 2006

So I am writing a "security camera" app at work, and using mysql/php. I have
the cameras uploading snapshots via ftp to the server.

Now for dealing with the images, and indexing them for easy searching, I
want to throw the info into a mysql database. I wouldnt mind also sticking
the image data in the table too, so that you HAD to go through the app to
view the images instead of direct url linking, but was wondering, how does
mysql react with a 20-30gb database? would this be very bad? I have run a
forum that used vbulletin with about a 500mb database, but that did not have
any issues at all.... but 20-30gb is quite the large database :p

Any thoughts or experiences?

--
Keith Richardson