[nycphp-talk] CakePHP: what do you think?

Baer, Jon jbaer at VillageVoice.com
Fri Jul 28 16:14:52 EDT 2006

Using it alot .. im using it after spending a good 6 months w/ Ruby on Rails though so my opinion might be one sided, overall it gives a good feeling of knowing that when something break you know *exactly* where to look .. which probably leads to this "agile" thing :-)

The best thing to probably look @ if you decide to pick it up is the Cajax helper by rossoft (he writes alot of nice Cake plugins - http://rossoft.wordpress.com) which is like RJS in Rails and lets you do that nice Ajaxy stuff w/ Prototype/Scriptaculous libraries.

What probably amazes me the most about it is how they seemlessly made it work w/ PHP4 and still use much of the OO hooks.

I like both RoR and Cake but when it comes to deployment PHP wins out in the support area, I still dont think they have figured out the best solution in Rails and the fact that the Bake command does alot more work make it nicer to work with.

Id be more interested in hearing what Mitch or the Joomla folks think about them (I missed the meeting) but definatley would have been a question I would have asked ... picking frameworks vs. rolling your own ...

- Jon

-----Original Message-----
From: talk-bounces at lists.nyphp.org on behalf of David Mintz
Sent: Fri 7/28/2006 3:28 PM
To: talk at lists.nyphp.org
Subject: [nycphp-talk] CakePHP: what do you think?

I know it's come up briefly on the list in the past, but imho it's time
once again to ask if people are using cakePHP (http://cakephp.org/) and if
so, what do you think?

I think it's extremely promising, but I also think it has a bit of a
initial learning curve, at least for mere mortals, that seems to belie the
name.

Somebody oughta give an NYPHP presentation about it (said he, as he ducked
under the desk).

---
David Mintz
http://davidmintz.org/

Amendment IV

The right of the people to be secure in their
persons, houses, papers, and effects, against
unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be
violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon
probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation,
and particularly describing the place to be
searched, and the persons or things to be seized.