[nycphp-talk] Why the light has gone out on LAMP

Anthony Papillion papillion at gmail.com
Wed Jun 7 14:44:35 EDT 2006

You know, I've never understood the "real programmers" "real
languages" "real databases" debate thing. If a technology meets your
needs, does what you want, and makes you more marketable because you
acquire skills that are in demand, *who cares* what idiots like this
think?

*Real* programmers adapt and learn whatever languages they need to
stay competitive in their field. They learn whatever is popular. When
VB was popular, we all leanred VB, when C++ was all the rage we
learned C++. Now that so much is moving to the web, PHP and MySQL are
in high demand. It would be career suicide for a programmer to ignore
those technologies because a few people feel they aren't *real*
somehow. The checks I get in the mail for programming in PHP sure feel
real to me.

Anthony