[nycphp-talk] Session cookie expiration issue

Stephen Musgrave stephen at musgrave.org
Wed Mar 8 08:06:16 EST 2006

Hello -

I am using ADO DB for the first time and am also using the Session
features.  I am having a problem with session ending while the users
are active.

The session is set at 20 minutes.  Session is used to log into a
password protected area.  Twenty minutes after the session id cookie
is set, the user is forced to log out because their cookie has
expired, even if they have remained active during that twenty
minutes.  I have looked at the expiry field for that user and that
date keeps on getting set 20 minutes into the future.  In analyzing
the cookie expire date after loading a page, it doesn't change from
the previous value.  In fact, it's never updated after it is
originally set.  At 20:01, the cookie expires.

Why isn't the cookie expiration time being reset with every refresh?
Am I misunderstanding something here?  Do secure cookies have
anything to do with it?

PHP:  4.4.2
MySQL:   5.0.18

Thanks,