[nycphp-talk] Events Management - is there a solid F/OS code base ?

Andrew Yochum andrew at plexpod.com
Thu Mar 30 09:50:33 EST 2006

On Wed, Mar 29, 2006 at 05:33:20PM -0500, csnyder wrote:
> On 3/29/06, csnyder <chsnyder at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > For any given day you generate a list of all the possible matches
> > (April 1, 2006 is a Saturday, an odd Saturday, first Saturday, first
> > of the month, etc), and then SELECT against those matches to find the
> > events that apply.
>
> Sorry, just thinking about this, I think it's fair to point out that
> this is 30+ queries to render a month view, versus a system that
> doesn't allow recurring events and can pull all of the events that
> appear in a month with a single query.
>
> It's not that bad a thing, though. "I can do recurring events, but
> it'll cost ya."  ;-)

One of the most important parts of publishing complex content like
events is caching of the generated data structures, output, & other
relevant pieces.  One way to do that is to generate another table in a
publication process so that you *can* do the 1 query version on
intermediate de-normalized and less complex data. Or, of course you can
cache output, etc.

Andrew
--
Andrew Yochum