[nycphp-talk] Multi-part Email Template System

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Wed Sep 20 09:56:47 EDT 2006

In that case I'd wonder if the mail server can handle this, which it
probably could/should. My guess is that the PHP code will most likely not
exceed execution time of a second if that. I bet sending the messages takes
longer than for PHP to staple them together. My experience with mail
servers is limited. I once set one up just to find after a few days that it
turned into a relay for spammers. I figured that it is better to shut it
down as I apparently did not know what I was doing. Mercury mail failng to
save the config files upon clicking save was the main culprit I found out
later.
It also depends on how fast your box is. I have an old dual P2-333 as my
server and for that thing not being a speed king and PHP being an
interpreted language and having everything with MySQL on one box, it is
still plenty fast for most things...except for running things like a full
dump into an HTML table of 30,000 records, that takes about 10 seconds and
is probably due to my inefficient PHP programming.

I'd test it by sending myself 10k messages unless your ISP thinks that is
abusive (I'm sure they do). If you run your own mail server you are all
set. Nothing is more fun load tests of this scale.

David K.