[nycphp-talk] Is there something wrong with this SQL query in PHP?

Ben Sgro (ProjectSkyLine) ben at projectskyline.com
Tue Aug 14 17:14:37 EDT 2007

Hello,

I just did a security audit for a site. This was a huge problem they had:

doing, "...where id = $_POST['id']"

Not only can you run sql commands you could update all the records where
id=1 or id > 1
via SQL injection.

The larger problem they had was that all the sql was being hardcoded, no use
of a function
anywhere. We had to go back and remove all the SQL to be called from a
function,
then have that function do the proper validation.

They had the exact same problems w/XSS, no input validation.

Chris, nice book btw, my #1 reference for PHP Security.

- Ben

Ben Sgro, Chief Engineer
ProjectSkyLine - Defining New Horizons

This e-mail is confidential information intended only for the use of the
individual to whom it is addressed.