[nycphp-talk] how did you learn php?

David Krings ramons at gmx.net
Sun Aug 26 22:32:26 EDT 2007

Anthony wrote:
> Hey, i'm kinda new around here and just tinkering around with php. My
> question to you guys is how did you learn? by reading or by taking apart
> scripts and adding your own style or what? I'm very curious.

I set out to accomplish a project and then try things out. It helps if
you know the basics of HTML as that is what you need to display things
(assuming you use a web browser, which is the easiest way). It also
helps if you know some of the really basic programming terms, such as
variable, string, if...then (else if even what I consider a bit more
advanced), loops, etc.

I look through the command list on php.net and often find something that
fits. My first project was collecting form data and writing it to a text
file. Then I set out to create a self-replicating script to create pages
to view pictures dynamically. Then I started looking at using MySQL.
Then I created an MP3 archiving and playing app, then I tried creating a
CRM system (which turned out to be to tought for me at the time). Now
I'm working on an even better picture and video archiving and viewing app.

Pick something that you have a use and interest in. Then figure out what
this gizmo is supposed to do. Then figure out how to implement each
feature. Write many comments into your script, that helps me to
understand what I did and plan what I need to do.

Of course, you can get a book from the library and read that. You can go
to http://w3schools.com/php/default.asp and get a first primer. And then
just keep on digging and searching the web and driving PHP experts crazy
on mailing lists with all your questions.

Oh, and bring some time and patience, it won't happen overnight and also
not by next week, but I am sure that by next week you can do things you
never ever thought you could do. That is the magic of PHP.

Good luck!

David