[nycphp-talk] Programming Standards

Urb LeJeune urb at e-government.com
Mon Nov 19 08:41:06 EST 2007

>If it's one or two lines, a function can be more distracting than it's
>worth.

         Until you find an error in those lines, or you need to add an
extra line.

         It all depends upon you philosophy of programming. To most
people a good program is one that works. To me a good program
has three important characteristics:

1. It does what the specifications require under all circumstances.
2. It is efficient in the use of resources, both computer and human.
3. It is easily maintained by someone other than the original programmer.

         Keep in mind that the creation cost of a production program (it's
actually being used) is a small fraction of the original cost.