[nycphp-talk] Some comments on the XML Talk

Brian D. brian at realm3.com
Tue Oct 30 12:55:37 EDT 2007

Tim, I don't think I was clear.

We're differing on semantics here, but by "structure" I mean set
fields, e.g., an "employees" table would have:

first name
last name
hired date
etc.

An XML document doesn't have a field definition (unless you tell it
to, of course, using any of the methods you described).

I'm aware that XML has "structure" (in the sense it is well-formed).

A flat text file paired with grep doesn't have the same power because
fields would not be defined. XML, at least, conveys information about
the data contained in the field, whereas a completely unstructured
text document lacks that.

- Brian Dailey

--
realm3 web applications [realm3.com]
freelance consulting, application development