[nycphp-talk] CMS - Estimating Hours

Kristina Anderson ka at kacomputerconsulting.com
Thu Mar 27 18:09:02 EDT 2008

Exactly.  The operative words here being "unexpected client requests".
No matter how thoroughly you spec things out and try to anticipate
everything you will be spending a LOT of time dealing with client
saying "OH, but I thought the site would do XYZ..." or "OH, but I
thought that it would be better if we did it like this instead" or just
plain obnoxious behavior like, "GUESS WHAT, we decided that we need 4
additional reports of sales activity but we can't extend your
deadline"...so allow as much extra time as your client will agree to.

Explain to them that by your allowing for a sufficient amount of time
and careful planning and testing, you are guaranteeing delivery of a
quality application to them, and you don't want to cut corners in any
way.

Also make sure to get a percentage of payment up front or within the
first couple of weeks, that way if things drag out during the client
approval phase, you won't be left holding 100% of the bag waiting.

And I totally 100% agree, it's nearly impossible to effectively test
you own code to production-quality perfection, you need to plan to
bring someone else in on that.

-- Kristina