[nycphp-talk] Recycling of ini files

Daniel Convissor danielc at analysisandsolutions.com
Mon Feb 16 12:10:44 EST 2009

Hi David:

On Mon, Feb 16, 2009 at 10:53:58AM -0500, David Krings wrote:
> Daniel Convissor wrote:
>> Hi David:

>>> So you are saying I could drop in the old system tables as well and
>>> run the update application?
>>
>> Huh?
>
> Uhm, MySQL stores thing like user accounts and privileges in schemas...

Looking back at the exchange again I think I misunderstood your reply and
you may have misunderstood what I was going for.

When I said "leave your old tables in place" I meant you should leave
them there.  You don't need to move them.  When you install/upgrade
MySQL, I assume it doesn't overwrite your existing tables.  My assumption
may be influenced by the fact that I put the data directory in a
particular location that is not where MySQL puts it by default.

When you said "drop in the old system tables" I missed the "in" so read
it as "drop the old system tables."  Sorry.

> From what I read these system tables changed from the old to the new
> version.

Yes, there have been many changes over the years.  In the directory you
install MySQL to there's a sub-directory called "scripts."  In there is a
script called "mysql_fix_privilege_tables."  That script runs various
ALTER/CREATE TABLE statements that bring you up to date.

> Also, changes are necessary for any other tables (the ones
> created by users).

The data tables (almost) never need changing.  The only case that's
needed changing was when ISAM format was dropped in favor of MyISAM.  For
that, there's the "mysql_convert_table_format" script.

--Dan

                http://www.AnalysisAndSolutions.com/