[nycphp-talk] Implementing Version Control

Greg Rundlett (freephile) greg at freephile.com
Mon Mar 30 16:38:26 EDT 2009

I too would recommend git (and github) for better collaboration and
merge support compared to svn.  Most probably know this distinction,
but Git is a "distributed" VCS compared to svn which is a
"centralized" VCS.  (People do still need subversion -- especially
where it's the common denominator.  I just migrated a whole subversion
service today including the repos, the administration system, the
websvn browser, the trac project management system from one machine to
another.)

Although I haven't used it yet, I would also point out that Mercurial
(Hg) is the "other" distributed version control system (similar to
git).  It was just chosen by the Python project for their source.  So,
I would choose between git and mercurial; either hosted or "internal".

hth,

--
Greg Rundlett
Web Developer - Initiative in Innovative Computing