[nycphp-talk] Recycling of ini files

Tim Lieberman tim_lists at o2group.com
Sun Feb 15 19:59:20 EST 2009

On Feb 15, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Justin Dearing wrote:

> Well try to reuse the php.ini files and check the log too see what
> breaks,etc. Also, if your ini files are similar to the stock ones in
> terms of layout use diff. Better yet find a gui merge tool. I use
> winmerge on windows. I'm sure java or x11 ones exist.

In my experience, it's pretty safe at least for minor releases. For
PHP, you're probably pretty safe until PHP6.  Of course, you should
thoroughly test and watch any system after an upgrade.

Another config/ini file hint: stick them all in subversion (or your
VCS of choice).  It's nice to be able to look back and see how
configurations change over time.